Sunday, April 10, 2022

M3: Cartographic Design

This week I learned about how to create visual hierarchy, figure-ground distinctions, contrast and balance. In the map below of Washington D.C. you can see Ward 7 public schools showcased by utilizing these concepts. Using lighter colors for the background and bolder colors for the schoool symbology brings them forward and does not overwhelm the eye, but also distinguishes their different school types. The placements of data around the central map shows an overall balance top to bottom and left to right as best I could manage.

I really enjoyed learning about these finer details of Cartography and did not run into any issues with the lab assignment. My only hiccup, is that I could spend hours on one element and still change my mind, and choosing symbology colors is difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GIS Portfolio

The final assignment in the GIS Certificate Program was to create a GIS Portfolio. It went as I expected. It is hard to write about yourself...